Quantcast

Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Jim-229
I would like to find out how other troops track the number of community service hours that a scout performs outside of activities listed on the calendar.  I currently enter all troop service project and eagle project activities in the troop calendar and track all service hours performed by the scouts.  I like how Troopmaster reports the service hours in the Individual Progress report.  However, sometimes the scout presents me with a document indicating that they participated in a community service project.  It would be nice to record these hours in the database but I would prefer not to create an activity on the troop calendar for this.  How are others tracking this?

Thanks,

Jim Hilby
Advancement Chair, Troop 865,
Mequon, WI

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Kenneth-44
Jim,

What I've done since there's already a pre-established pre-defined "Activity Type" for "Serv. Proj." is under the Activities pull-down menu when you first open TM, go to "Define Activity Levels."

Then add one for Personal or Individual. Then you can track each boys additional community service or service project hours, by adding that activity into the Calendar. At least, that's the easiest way I've found in doing this.

 YiS,
Ken Hartman
SM-Troop 57
MC-Pack 57
Lebanon, MO
O/A Brotherhood Member
Wah-Sha-She Lodge #42
Ozark Trails Council #306
Eagle Class of 1981

--- In [hidden email], "Jim" <jhilby@...> wrote:

> I would like to find out how other troops track the number of community service hours that a scout performs outside of activities listed on the calendar.  I currently enter all troop service project and eagle project activities in the troop calendar and track all service hours performed by the scouts.  I like how Troopmaster reports the service hours in the Individual Progress report.  However, sometimes the scout presents me with a document indicating that they participated in a community service project.  It would be nice to record these hours in the database but I would prefer not to create an activity on the troop calendar for this.  How are others tracking this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Hilby
> Advancement Chair, Troop 865,
> Mequon, WI

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Suzanne Windisch
Question - does your unit count this individual service toward their rank requirement?   If so, then keeping it separate won't add those hours together automatically in TroopMaster.

According to BSA rank requirements, the service does not need to be done in the unit, only needs SM approval.  In our troop, we developed a form that the Scout presents to the SM to obtain his permission signature before the service is performed.  In TM, we note that these are individual service hours in the description area for that activity, and code it the same as unit service projects.

Suzanne Windisch
T120, Solon, IA

--- In [hidden email], "Kenneth" <khartman@...> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> What I've done since there's already a pre-established pre-defined "Activity Type" for "Serv. Proj." is under the Activities pull-down menu when you first open TM, go to "Define Activity Levels."
>
> Then add one for Personal or Individual. Then you can track each boys additional community service or service project hours, by adding that activity into the Calendar. At least, that's the easiest way I've found in doing this.
>
>  YiS,
> Ken Hartman
> SM-Troop 57
> MC-Pack 57
> Lebanon, MO
> O/A Brotherhood Member
> Wah-Sha-She Lodge #42
> Ozark Trails Council #306
> Eagle Class of 1981
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Jim" <jhilby@> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to find out how other troops track the number of community service hours that a scout performs outside of activities listed on the calendar.  I currently enter all troop service project and eagle project activities in the troop calendar and track all service hours performed by the scouts.  I like how Troopmaster reports the service hours in the Individual Progress report.  However, sometimes the scout presents me with a document indicating that they participated in a community service project.  It would be nice to record these hours in the database but I would prefer not to create an activity on the troop calendar for this.  How are others tracking this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jim Hilby
> > Advancement Chair, Troop 865,
> > Mequon, WI

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

karwac
Jim, I have also dealt with this problem of  crediting non-troop sanctioned
service hours to scouts even back when I was  operating ScoutMate. In neither
program is there a provision for entering  service hours directly into a
scout's personal records...one  must create the Serv. Proj. activity and then credit
that one scout with  attendance. However, as another response stated, you can
enter a user defined  activity into TroopMaster and track a scout's personal
service hours that way,  but I'm not sure that the program will keep a running
total with that method.  You could periodically tally up the scout's Personal
Service Hours and enter  that number into the "Prior Totals" section of their
record. Of course, there is  no provision for specifying service project
description this way, but at  least the program will maintain a running total.
    YIS-Don C.
    T511
    San Antonio, Tx.

In a message dated 4/2/2009 2:49:28 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

I would like to find out how other troops track the number of community
service hours that a scout performs outside of activities listed on the  calendar.
I currently enter all troop service project and eagle project  activities in
the troop calendar and track all service hours performed by the  scouts. I
like how Troopmaster reports the service hours in the Individual  Progress
report. However, sometimes the scout presents me with a document  indicating that
they participated in a community service project. It would be  nice to record
these hours in the database but I would prefer not to create an  activity on the
troop calendar for this. How are others tracking  this?

Thanks,

Jim Hilby
Advancement Chair, Troop 865,
Mequon, WI

**************New Low Prices on Dell Laptops – Starting at $399
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220433304x1201394525/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubl
eclick.net%2Fclk%3B213540718%3B35046385%3Be)

Re: Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Matt Price
All -

We count in-troop and out of troop service house much the same.  Do not
let the limit of the software condition you into not crediting those
hours appropriately.

Matt Price
Unit Commissioner
Hemlock District
Occoneechee Council, BSA

Suzanne wrote:

> Question - does your unit count this individual service toward their
> rank requirement? If so, then keeping it separate won't add those
> hours together automatically in TroopMaster.
>
> According to BSA rank requirements, the service does not need to be
> done in the unit, only needs SM approval. In our troop, we developed a
> form that the Scout presents to the SM to obtain his permission
> signature before the service is performed. In TM, we note that these
> are individual service hours in the description area for that
> activity, and code it the same as unit service projects.
>
> Suzanne Windisch
> T120, Solon, IA
>
> --- In [hidden email] <mailto:TMTUG%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Kenneth" <khartman@...> wrote:
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > What I've done since there's already a pre-established pre-defined
> "Activity Type" for "Serv. Proj." is under the Activities pull-down
> menu when you first open TM, go to "Define Activity Levels."
> >
> > Then add one for Personal or Individual. Then you can track each
> boys additional community service or service project hours, by adding
> that activity into the Calendar. At least, that's the easiest way I've
> found in doing this.
> >
> > YiS,
> > Ken Hartman
> > SM-Troop 57
> > MC-Pack 57
> > Lebanon, MO
> > O/A Brotherhood Member
> > Wah-Sha-She Lodge #42
> > Ozark Trails Council #306
> > Eagle Class of 1981
> >

> > --- In [hidden email] <mailto:TMTUG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jim"
> <jhilby@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I would like to find out how other troops track the number of
> community service hours that a scout performs outside of activities
> listed on the calendar. I currently enter all troop service project
> and eagle project activities in the troop calendar and track all
> service hours performed by the scouts. I like how Troopmaster reports
> the service hours in the Individual Progress report. However,
> sometimes the scout presents me with a document indicating that they
> participated in a community service project. It would be nice to
> record these hours in the database but I would prefer not to create an
> activity on the troop calendar for this. How are others tracking this?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jim Hilby
> > > Advancement Chair, Troop 865,
> > > Mequon, WI

RE: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Clifford Steele

Your main concern is that you don't want it on the calendar.... simple, uncheck the "Include on Calendar" box when you add the service project to the activity section. Just call it "Scouts Own" or whatever you like.... uncheck the box....credit the boy... and away you go.

Cliff

Have you been to the Troop WEB page? http://www.geocities.com/mrphilmont@.../troop458.html

To: [hidden email]

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Jim-229
Thanks everyone.  Using the different levels for service projects will work.

Jim

--- In [hidden email], "Jim" <jhilby@...> wrote:

> I would like to find out how other troops track the number of community service hours that a scout performs outside of activities listed on the calendar.  I currently enter all troop service project and eagle project activities in the troop calendar and track all service hours performed by the scouts.  I like how Troopmaster reports the service hours in the Individual Progress report.  However, sometimes the scout presents me with a document indicating that they participated in a community service project.  It would be nice to record these hours in the database but I would prefer not to create an activity on the troop calendar for this.  How are others tracking this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Hilby
> Advancement Chair, Troop 865,
> Mequon, WI

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

kthoman2005
Jim,
The activity must be entered into the calendar for advancement reasons.  The requirement for service hours for the higher ranks state that "since earning Star, participate in 6 hours community service" (not exactly those words).  If you put the hours anywhere else than in the service project activity, or in the previous totals category, I don't think it will be recorded properly.

I just received a list of service activities from a scout last night that he performed at his church.  I'm going to look at the Rank he is working on and figure out if all these dates matter towards this rank and then make a new service project activity in the calendar and add them all together.

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Scully0007
How about just creating a single entry in the calendar with a false date that you use for all service outside of scouting. You can just indicate the total hours for each scout in this situation in the one entry and then you won't have multiple events in the calendar.

Just a thought.

Kathy

Troop 746
Fullerton, MD

Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

Kenneth-44
That would not be very efficient, nor practical. For one, the boy wouldn't get credit for the actual dates that he did the work. If you were going to do that, why not just use Excel and leave it out of TM software altogether?

Ken

--- In [hidden email], "scully0007" <Scully0007@...> wrote:

> How about just creating a single entry in the calendar with a false date that you use for all service outside of scouting. You can just indicate the total hours for each scout in this situation in the one entry and then you won't have multiple events in the calendar.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Kathy
>
> Troop 746
> Fullerton, MD

RE: Re: Community Service Hours outside troop activities

dizneykids@gmail.com
We track all non-troop service separately in an Excel spreadsheet. When a
Scout has completed his other requirements for rank advancement, we add his
troop service time to any he might have in the Excel spreadsheet, then (if
appropriate) hard-code a date in the Service field in the Scout's record.
You just have to be sure that the non-troop service was performed during the
current rank's timeframe.

Beth Buckley
Advancements Chair
Troop 219
 <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
TTFN!

Please note my email has changed to [hidden email]

  _____

--- In TMTUG@yahoogroups. <mailto:TMTUG%40yahoogroups.com> com, "Jim"