Quantcast

Merit Badge Placement

Lisa Brauckmiller

Hello Group,

Where do you start the placement of merit badges on the sash.  How far
apart should they be horizontally and vertically?  What's the easiest
way to do this?

Lisa B.
Troop 22

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Merit Badge Placement

Ardoth Hassler
Lisa: I'm our Troop's Advancement Coordinator and also a mom who sews.
About once a semester, we have a "sewing night" and 2-3 of us bring our
machines and update uniforms and badge sashes, with one exception: we
expect the boys to sew their own rank patches on their uniforms. One
ASM, a dad, usually teaches that!
I've always been told the badges should  be placed roughly in the order
they are earned. When several are earned at one time (such as summer
camp), I usually give the boy the choice of the order. Troopmaster (just
so we sorta stay on topic to this list ;-) ) can produce a report for
each Scout of the badges earned and their dates.

Additional badge sash/sewing tips:
- when you buy the first badge sash, go ahead and get the larger one and
then take a tuck in it. As the Scout grows (and he will), simply undo
the tuck. This will save you having to either take all those badges off
or punting and buying new ones!
- I usually start about 3" from the top; they go three across, left to
right.
- if you are machine sewing, use clear, nylon thread for the top and the
color of the item (khaki or green) on the bobbin. No matter how
precisely you machine sew, the nylon thread is almost totally invisible.
- for patches that change (Patrol, Quality Unit), I use a basting stitch
as it is easier to remove when it is time to replace the patch.

Ardoth Hassler
aka Kyle's mom
Advancement Coordinator
Troop 8 Bethesda, MD
(an maintainer of 5 shirts, one sash and helper for keeping the Troop
looking sharp!)

Lisa Brauckmiller wrote:

> Hello Group,
>
> Where do you start the placement of merit badges on the sash.  How far
> apart should they be horizontally and vertically?  What's the easiest
> way to do this?
>
> Lisa B.
> Troop 22

>     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Re: Merit Badge Placement

Lisa Brauckmiller
Thanks for your help.  This is perfect.  And I apologize to the group
for being off-topic.  I keep forgetting this is just for Troop Master
-- I'll be more careful in the future.

Lisa

Quoting Ardoth Hassler <[hidden email]>:

> Lisa: I'm our Troop's Advancement Coordinator and also a mom who
> sews.
> About once a semester, we have a "sewing night" and 2-3 of us bring
> our
> machines and update uniforms and badge sashes, with one exception: we
> expect the boys to sew their own rank patches on their uniforms. One
> ASM, a dad, usually teaches that!
> I've always been told the badges should  be placed roughly in the
> order
> they are earned. When several are earned at one time (such as summer
> camp), I usually give the boy the choice of the order. Troopmaster
> (just
> so we sorta stay on topic to this list ;-) ) can produce a report for
> each Scout of the badges earned and their dates.
>
> Additional badge sash/sewing tips:
> - when you buy the first badge sash, go ahead and get the larger one
> and
> then take a tuck in it. As the Scout grows (and he will), simply undo
> the tuck. This will save you having to either take all those badges
> off
> or punting and buying new ones!
> - I usually start about 3" from the top; they go three across, left
> right.
> - if you are machine sewing, use clear, nylon thread for the top and
> the
> color of the item (khaki or green) on the bobbin. No matter how
> precisely you machine sew, the nylon thread is almost totally
> invisible.
> - for patches that change (Patrol, Quality Unit), I use a basting
> stitch
> as it is easier to remove when it is time to replace the patch.
>
> Ardoth Hassler
> aka Kyle's mom
> Advancement Coordinator
> Troop 8 Bethesda, MD
> (an maintainer of 5 shirts, one sash and helper for keeping the Troop
> looking sharp!)
>
> Lisa Brauckmiller wrote:
> >

> > Hello Group,
> >
> > Where do you start the placement of merit badges on the sash.  How
> far
> > apart should they be horizontally and vertically?  What's the
> easiest
> > way to do this?
> >
> > Lisa B.
> > Troop 22

> >        [hidden email]
> >
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>
> >
> >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Merit Badge Placement

Junior Sherrill
Lisa

Alot of the moms in my troop sew velcro on the pocket
and sleeve for the badges that change frequently.
They just put the other piece on the badge and one
piece on the uniform and they are done.  Some have
found clear or tan colored velcro for this.  Also it
is a new product called Badge Magic from the BSA
catalog works well to.  Just some ideas.

Junior Sherrill
Scoutmaster Troop 607

--- Lisa Brauckmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Ardoth Hassler
> > aka Kyle's mom
> > Advancement Coordinator
> > Troop 8 Bethesda, MD
> > (an maintainer of 5 shirts, one sash and helper
> for keeping the Troop
> > looking sharp!)
> >
> > Lisa Brauckmiller wrote:
> > >

> > > Hello Group,
> > >
> > > Where do you start the placement of merit badges
> on the sash.  How
> > far
> > > apart should they be horizontally and
> vertically?  What's the
> > easiest
> > > way to do this?
> > >
> > > Lisa B.
> > > Troop 22

> email to:
> > >        [hidden email]

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>

> > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

John Zantek
Maybe it's just me, but I hate that Badge Magic stuff.  Very few boys use it
sparingly enough and it tends to make a mess.  Plus, the boys avoid taking
'ownership' of their uniforms.  On the other hand, if they glue one part of
the velcro on the shirt, and the other piece on the patch, then you may have
something.

Now if we could have a feature in TM that couples to a computerized sewing
machine to make patches......<running and ducking>.

> [...]

> > Ardoth Hassler
> > aka Kyle's mom
> > Advancement Coordinator
> > Troop 8 Bethesda, MD
> > (an maintainer of 5 shirts, one sash and helper
> for keeping the Troop
> > looking sharp!)
> >
> > Lisa Brauckmiller wrote:
> > >

> > > Hello Group,
> > >
> > > Where do you start the placement of merit badges
> on the sash.  How
> > far
> > > apart should they be horizontally and
> vertically?  What's the
> > easiest
> > > way to do this?
> > >
> > > Lisa B.
> > > Troop 22

> email to:
> > >        [hidden email]

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>

> > >     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to

  _____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

the web.

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=Unsubscribe>

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

  _____

Re: Merit Badge Placement

Lisa Brauckmiller
Eee gads, at my last COH I actually applied the Badge Magic to the
patches the boys earned before handing them out and told them how to
apply it to their uniforms -- what did I get myself into . . . .

Lisa

John Zantek wrote:

> Maybe it's just me, but I hate that Badge Magic stuff.  Very few boys
> use it sparingly enough and it tends to make a mess.  Plus, the boys
> avoid taking 'ownership' of their uniforms.  On the other hand, if
> they glue one part of the velcro on the shirt, and the other piece on
> the patch, then you may have something.
>
> Now if we could have a feature in TM that couples to a computerized
> sewing machine to make patches......<running and ducking>.

T.W. Cook
Depending on your climate, Badge Magic can be a really bad idea. Here
(central Texas), where summer camp tends to be hot and humid, it won't
survive a week. I had one boy a couple years back who had applied
every patch on his uniform using it. The last one fell off on Tuesday
of summer camp. Our scout shop recommends using it lightly to position
the badge and then sewing it.

On 4/18/06, Lisa Brauckmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Eee gads, at my last COH I actually applied the Badge Magic to the patches
> the boys earned before handing them out and told them how to apply it to
> their uniforms -- what did I get myself into . . . .
>
>  Lisa

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

RE: Merit Badge Placement

Bogdanowich, William
Did you know the Girl Scouts only sell iron on badges.

Depending on your climate, Badge Magic can be a really bad idea. Here
(central Texas), where summer camp tends to be hot and humid, it won't
survive a week. I had one boy a couple years back who had applied
every patch on his uniform using it. The last one fell off on Tuesday
of summer camp. Our scout shop recommends using it lightly to position
the badge and then sewing it.

On 4/18/06, Lisa Brauckmiller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Eee gads, at my last COH I actually applied the Badge Magic to the patches
> the boys earned before handing them out and told them how to apply it to
> their uniforms -- what did I get myself into . . . .
>
>  Lisa

Yahoo! Groups Links