Quantcast

Printing merit badge cards

Milton McCleskey
 I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.

Re: Printing merit badge cards

Frank Maynard
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, usnretmac wrote:

> I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as the
> BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM?

You have to purchase the blank perforated blue card stock from
Troopmaster. I don't think there is a way to use BSA's cards.

Once you have the card stock, you go into Reports -> Awards/Advancement ->
Blue Cards, point and click the scout's name, the merit badge name, and
confirm. You can enter as many as you want but I find it better to do them
in batches of ten or twelve, depending on how well your printer handles
the card stock.

I did 200+ blue cards this way for summer camp this year.  It's time
consuming for sure, but it sure beats writing them all out by hand.

--
Yours in Scouting,
Frank Maynard, NF8M
http://scouting.fmaynard.com

Re: Printing merit badge cards

Tim Musson-2
usnretmac,

You print them when you generate the advancement report.

Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403

Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
report.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:

>  I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.

--
Tim Musson,
KnotMasters          www.KnotOwl.net
Troop 2 Advancement  www.troop2el.org
Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District

 (\___/)
 (o\ /o)
/|  V  |\
\\     //
 `"" ""`
 C-53-09

Re: Printing merit badge cards

Emery Hanzel
There is a requirement for an image if you want to print merit badge cards.  Also can you print incomplete MB blue cards with requirements marked?

Emery Hanzel
Troop 1299

You print them when you generate the advancement report.

Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403

Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the

report.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:

>  I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as

> the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards

> to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.

--

Tim Musson,

KnotMasters          www.KnotOwl.net

Troop 2 Advancement  www.troop2el.org

Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180

Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District

(\___/)

 (o\ /o)

/|  V  |\

\\     //

 `"" ""`

 C-53-09

Re: Printing merit badge cards

Milton McCleskey
I found it after submitting this question, Thanks.

You print them when you generate the advancement report.

Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403

Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
report.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:

> I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.

--
Tim Musson,
KnotMasters www.KnotOwl.net
Troop 2 Advancement www.troop2el.org
Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District

(\___/)
(o\ /o)
/| V |\
\\ //
`"" ""`
C-53-09

Re: Printing merit badge cards

GANTTE
Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.
Tim is trying to be a Helpful Scouter, no doubt there.

Tim is correct as to WHERE you command Troopmaster to print
the merit badge AWARD cards.

Note to those who don't read for comprehension... this has
NOTHING to do with "blue cards".

But what Tim did NOT say,  Troopmaster does NOT allow you to
print on BSA stock #33414.  #33414 is from www.scoutstuff.org
(National Supply) and is 4 wide by 2 high merit badge AWARD
cards.

There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
able to do so.

This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
Avery label, which can be used, but TSI simply doesn't want you to
use BSA stock.

They prefer to sell you their own product.

One solution, print on Avery label, trim them, stick them to
the #33414 stock.  This is one method.  Other readers may use
different methods.  No method is better than other.  They are
choices.

If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the ability
to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

--- In [hidden email], Tim Musson <tim@...> wrote:

> usnretmac,
>
> You print them when you generate the advancement report.
>
> Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403
>
> Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
> report.
>
> Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:
>
> >  I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> > the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> > to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.
>

> --
> Tim Musson,
> KnotMasters          www.KnotOwl.net
> Troop 2 Advancement  www.troop2el.org
> Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
> Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District
>
>  (\___/)
>  (o\ /o)
> /|  V  |\
> \\     //
>  `"" ""`
>  C-53-09

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards

sappmeritbadges
Use clear labels so it blends in with the card. Easier to line up the name.

Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.
Tim is trying to be a Helpful Scouter, no doubt there.

Tim is correct as to WHERE you command Troopmaster to print
the merit badge AWARD cards.

Note to those who don't read for comprehension... this has
NOTHING to do with "blue cards".

But what Tim did NOT say,  Troopmaster does NOT allow you to
print on BSA stock #33414.  #33414 is from www.scoutstuff.org
(National Supply) and is 4 wide by 2 high merit badge AWARD
cards.

There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
able to do so.

This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
Avery label, which can be used, but TSI simply doesn't want you to
use BSA stock.

They prefer to sell you their own product.

One solution, print on Avery label, trim them, stick them to
the #33414 stock.  This is one method.  Other readers may use
different methods.  No method is better than other.  They are
choices.

If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the ability
to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

--- In [hidden email], Tim Musson <tim@...> wrote:

> usnretmac,
>
> You print them when you generate the advancement report.
>
> Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403
>
> Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
> report.
>
> Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:
>
> >  I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> > the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> > to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.
>

> --
> Tim Musson,
> KnotMasters          www.KnotOwl.net
> Troop 2 Advancement  www.troop2el.org
> Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
> Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District
>
>  (\___/)
>  (o\ /o)
> /|  V  |\
> \\     //
>  `"" ""`
>  C-53-09

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards

Milton McCleskey
 I did a cut and place with the top picture of the card from bsa and used it in TM. I then pirnt on standard white card stock.

Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.
Tim is trying to be a Helpful Scouter, no doubt there.

Tim is correct as to WHERE you command Troopmaster to print
the merit badge AWARD cards.

Note to those who don't read for comprehension... this has
NOTHING to do with "blue cards".

But what Tim did NOT say, Troopmaster does NOT allow you to
print on BSA stock #33414. #33414 is from www.scoutstuff.org
(National Supply) and is 4 wide by 2 high merit badge AWARD
cards.

There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
able to do so.

This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
Avery label, which can be used, but TSI simply doesn't want you to
use BSA stock.

They prefer to sell you their own product.

One solution, print on Avery label, trim them, stick them to
the #33414 stock. This is one method. Other readers may use
different methods. No method is better than other. They are
choices.

If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the ability
to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

--- In [hidden email], Tim Musson <tim@...> wrote:

> usnretmac,
>
> You print them when you generate the advancement report.
>
> Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403
>
> Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
> report.
>
> Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:
>
> > I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> > the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> > to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.
>

> --
> Tim Musson,
> KnotMasters www.KnotOwl.net
> Troop 2 Advancement www.troop2el.org
> Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
> Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District
>
> (\___/)
> (o\ /o)
> /| V |\
> \\ //
> `"" ""`
> C-53-09

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards

Katherine Fritz
As someone else on this list recently calculated (pardon me, the name
escapes me at the moment) the TSI blank white card stock for merit badge
award cards actually is cheaper per piece than either the Avery card stock
or the BSA award cards.

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM, GANTTE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.
> Tim is trying to be a Helpful Scouter, no doubt there.
>
> Tim is correct as to WHERE you command Troopmaster to print
> the merit badge AWARD cards.
>
> Note to those who don't read for comprehension... this has
> NOTHING to do with "blue cards".
>
> But what Tim did NOT say,  Troopmaster does NOT allow you to
> print on BSA stock #33414.  #33414 is from www.scoutstuff.org
> (National Supply) and is 4 wide by 2 high merit badge AWARD
> cards.
>
> There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
> allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
> able to do so.
>
> This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
> Avery label, which can be used, but TSI simply doesn't want you to
> use BSA stock.
>
> They prefer to sell you their own product.
>
> One solution, print on Avery label, trim them, stick them to
> the #33414 stock.  This is one method.  Other readers may use
> different methods.  No method is better than other.  They are
> choices.
>
> If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the ability
> to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.
>

> --- In [hidden email], Tim Musson <tim@...> wrote:
> >
> > usnretmac,
> >
> > You print them when you generate the advancement report.
> >
> > Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403
> >
> > Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
> > report.
> >
> > Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:
> >
> > >  I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> > > the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> > > to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.
> >

> > --
> > Tim Musson,
> > KnotMasters          www.KnotOwl.net
> > Troop 2 Advancement  www.troop2el.org
> > Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
> > Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District
> >
> >  (\___/)
> >  (o\ /o)
> > /|  V  |\
> > \\     //
> >  `"" ""`
> >  C-53-09

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards

Emery Hanzel
Maybe I am being dense here, but if wanted to print an incomplete merit badge card, I use the troopmaster product " perforated 'Blue Card' paper ".  The card stock provides two blue cards per page.  This is not the normal BSA blue card stock.  I can print the blank blue card with name and other stuff, but it does not print the completed requirements.  I only get the numbers for the requirements but nothing else.

is there a way to print the card with completed check marks?

Emery

As someone else on this list recently calculated (pardon me, the name escapes me at the moment) the TSI blank white card stock for merit badge award cards actually is cheaper per piece than either the Avery card stock or the BSA award cards.

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM, GANTTE <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.
Tim is trying to be a Helpful Scouter, no doubt there.

Tim is correct as to WHERE you command Troopmaster to print
the merit badge AWARD cards.

Note to those who don't read for comprehension... this has
NOTHING to do with "blue cards".

But what Tim did NOT say,  Troopmaster does NOT allow you to
print on BSA stock #33414.  #33414 is from www.scoutstuff.org
(National Supply) and is 4 wide by 2 high merit badge AWARD
cards.

There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
able to do so.

This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
Avery label, which can be used, but TSI simply doesn't want you to
use BSA stock.

They prefer to sell you their own product.

One solution, print on Avery label, trim them, stick them to
the #33414 stock.  This is one method.  Other readers may use
different methods.  No method is better than other.  They are
choices.

If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the ability
to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

--- In [hidden email], Tim Musson <tim@...> wrote:

> usnretmac,
>
> You print them when you generate the advancement report.
>
> Report | Awards/Advancement | Court of Honor/4403
>
> Last check box on the bottom left with generate them when you run the
> report.
>
> Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 9:56:13 AM, usnretmac wrote:
>
> >  I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as
> > the BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM? I have 85 of these cards
> > to fill out and would prefer not having to do it by hand.
>

> --
> Tim Musson,
> KnotMasters          www.KnotOwl.net
> Troop 2 Advancement  www.troop2el.org
> Pack 180 Advancement www.troop2el.org/pack/180
> Chief Okemos Council, Ojibwas District
>
>  (\___/)
>  (o\ /o)
> /|  V  |\
> \\     //
>  `"" ""`
>  C-53-09

Re: Printing merit badge cards

Katherine Fritz
Frank, the original poster isn't talking about blue cards but merit badge
award cards, which would be printed on TSI's blank white perforated card
stock, Avery white perforated card stock, or plain white paper or card stock
that you'd need to cut by hand or with a paper cutter.  Or print labels
(there's an option in Troopmaster to do that) and affix them to the BSA
award cards. But you are correct that TSI does not have an option to print
directly on the BSA pre-printed stock.

Either way, I find Troopmaster a lifesaver for printing both blue cards AND
award cards, rather than filling them all out by hand. I used Avery card
stock at first (five years ago when I became Advancement Chair) but soon
switched to TSI stock, and haven't looked back.

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Frank Maynard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, usnretmac wrote:
>
> > I have looked all over troopmaster, how do you print cards such as the
> > BSA 33414 merit badge card though TM?
>
> You have to purchase the blank perforated blue card stock from
> Troopmaster. I don't think there is a way to use BSA's cards.
>
> Once you have the card stock, you go into Reports -> Awards/Advancement ->
> Blue Cards, point and click the scout's name, the merit badge name, and
> confirm. You can enter as many as you want but I find it better to do them
> in batches of ten or twelve, depending on how well your printer handles
> the card stock.
>
> I did 200+ blue cards this way for summer camp this year.  It's time
> consuming for sure, but it sure beats writing them all out by hand.
>
> --
> Yours in Scouting,
> Frank Maynard, NF8M
> CC, Troop 407; CR, Pack 54, Novi, Michigan
> Ottawa District Training Chair, Great Lakes Council
> Trustee, WB8BSA ...and a good old Bobwhite too! (C-23-04)
> http://scouting.fmaynard.com

Re: Printing merit badge cards

Katherine Fritz
Yup, but there are plenty of nice images available, and you can decide what
to use yourself.  I believe there are some uploaded to the files area of
this YahooGroup.  Also, a number of us still have the images that TSI
originally supplied with the program before BSA asked them to cease and
desist distributing the images - I've emailed them to several folks in the
past.

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Emery Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a requirement for an image if you want to print merit badge
> cards.  Also can you print incomplete MB blue cards with requirements
> marked?
>
> Emery Hanzel
> Troop 1299

I guess I'm not sure why you would want to print an incomplete blue card
from Troopmaster.  Wouldn't you have printed the card when the Scout started
taking the badge at summer camp or wherever, and you gotten it back marked
as a partial?  That's been my experience.   When we've done badges with an
in-troop merit badge counselor, we still print out the blue cards from
Troopmaster and supply them to the MBC at the beginning of the first MBC
session.  Sorry if I'm being dense too, and missing your point!

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Emery Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe I am being dense here, but if wanted to print an incomplete merit
> badge card, I use the troopmaster product " perforated 'Blue Card' paper ".
> The card stock provides two blue cards per page.  This is not the normal BSA
> blue card stock.  I can print the blank blue card with name and other stuff,
> but it does not print the completed requirements.  I only get the numbers
> for the requirements but nothing else.
>
> is there a way to print the card with completed check marks?
>
> Emery

Greg Marr
At 02:28 PM 8/18/2010, GANTTE wrote:
>Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.

As is yours, so let's not get into that.

>There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
>allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
>able to do so.
>
>This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
>Avery label, which can be used

We had a whole thread on this last week.  The problem is that
"filling in the blank on a pre-printed card" is a heck of a lot
harder than "printing a full card within a perforated region" and the
variations in printer paper handling are a lot easier to deal with in
the second case than the first.  It's much more noticeable when the
misalignment is within the card itself than on the borders of the card.

My printer, for example, can easily have a variation of a quarter of
an inch from one sheet to the next on card stock.  Trying to fit text
in a quarter-inch region on a pre-printed card is a crap shoot at best.

>but TSI simply doesn't want you to use BSA stock.

Correct, because they have a solution which works on a wide variety
of printers, costs less than using the BSA stock, and can print merit
badges and multiple different ranks on the same sheet, so that there
is less waste.  For example, if you have 1 boy scout, 1 tenderfoot, 1
second class, 1 first class, 1 star, 1 life, 1 palm, and 1 merit
badge, you have just wasted 56 cards using the BSA stock, but none
using the TSI stock.

>If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the
>ability to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

Unlikely, see above.

--
Greg Marr

RE: Re: Printing merit badge cards

Clifford Steele

Also the deal is that the "Official" cards are a lot better looking....soooo (I'll say this again).
Scan a set of "Official" cards, call them up in photoshop, crop out the lower half (keep the art part), save them with the same name at TM (I think it has to be a bitmapped), place them in the TM folder and overwright the old cards. Now when you print in TM the cards will look nearly the same as the "Official" cards.
Cliff

To: [hidden email]
From: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:01:46 -0400

At 02:28 PM 8/18/2010, GANTTE wrote:
>Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.

As is yours, so let's not get into that.

>There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
>allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
>able to do so.
>
>This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
>Avery label, which can be used

We had a whole thread on this last week. The problem is that
"filling in the blank on a pre-printed card" is a heck of a lot
harder than "printing a full card within a perforated region" and the
variations in printer paper handling are a lot easier to deal with in
the second case than the first. It's much more noticeable when the
misalignment is within the card itself than on the borders of the card.

My printer, for example, can easily have a variation of a quarter of
an inch from one sheet to the next on card stock. Trying to fit text
in a quarter-inch region on a pre-printed card is a crap shoot at best.

>but TSI simply doesn't want you to use BSA stock.

Correct, because they have a solution which works on a wide variety
of printers, costs less than using the BSA stock, and can print merit
badges and multiple different ranks on the same sheet, so that there
is less waste. For example, if you have 1 boy scout, 1 tenderfoot, 1
second class, 1 first class, 1 star, 1 life, 1 palm, and 1 merit
badge, you have just wasted 56 cards using the BSA stock, but none
using the TSI stock.

>If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the
>ability to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

Unlikely, see above.

--
Greg Marr

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards [2 Attachments]

Katherine Fritz
Personally, I like the cards I get from Troopmaster better than the
"official" cards Attached are jpegs to compare.

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Clifford Steele <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Also the deal is that the "Official" cards are a lot better
> looking....soooo (I'll say this atagain).
> Scan a set of "Official" cards, call them up in photoshop, crop out the
> lower half (keep the art part), save them with the same name at TM (I think
> it has to be a bitmapped), place them in the TM folder and overwright the
> old cards. Now when you print in TM the cards will look nearly the same as
> the "Official" cards.
> Cliff
>
> ------------------------------
> To: [hidden email]
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:01:46 -0400
>
> Subject: Re: [TMTUG] Re: Printing merit badge cards
>

>  At 02:28 PM 8/18/2010, GANTTE wrote:
> >Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.
>
> As is yours, so let's not get into that.
>
> >There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
> >allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
> >able to do so.
> >
> >This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
> >Avery label, which can be used
>
> We had a whole thread on this last week. The problem is that
> "filling in the blank on a pre-printed card" is a heck of a lot
> harder than "printing a full card within a perforated region" and the
> variations in printer paper handling are a lot easier to deal with in
> the second case than the first. It's much more noticeable when the
> misalignment is within the card itself than on the borders of the card.
>
> My printer, for example, can easily have a variation of a quarter of
> an inch from one sheet to the next on card stock. Trying to fit text
> in a quarter-inch region on a pre-printed card is a crap shoot at best.
>
> >but TSI simply doesn't want you to use BSA stock.
>
> Correct, because they have a solution which works on a wide variety
> of printers, costs less than using the BSA stock, and can print merit
> badges and multiple different ranks on the same sheet, so that there
> is less waste. For example, if you have 1 boy scout, 1 tenderfoot, 1
> second class, 1 first class, 1 star, 1 life, 1 palm, and 1 merit
> badge, you have just wasted 56 cards using the BSA stock, but none
> using the TSI stock.
>
> >If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the
> >ability to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.
>
> Unlikely, see above.
>
> --
> Greg Marr

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards

murph
Personally I agree with Kathy.  One more point it is less money buy stock from troopmaster and print troopmaster's image on the stock than to buy the sheets from BSA.

Michael Murphy
Advancement Chair
Troop 246, Clifton Park NY

[Attachment(s) from Katherine Fritz included below]

Personally, I like the cards I get from Troopmaster better than the "official" cards Attached are jpegs to compare.

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

  Also the deal is that the "Official" cards are a lot better looking....soooo (I'll say this atagain).

  To: [hidden email]
  From: [hidden email]
  Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:01:46 -0400

  At 02:28 PM 8/18/2010, GANTTE wrote:
  >Tim's response is incomplete, if not misleading.

  As is yours, so let's not get into that.

  >There is no reason why Troopmaster Software Inc (TSI) could not
  >allow you to use the BSA stock, they simply don't want you to be
  >able to do so.
  >
  >This #33414 merit badge AWARD stock is nothing different from an
  >Avery label, which can be used

  We had a whole thread on this last week. The problem is that
  "filling in the blank on a pre-printed card" is a heck of a lot
  harder than "printing a full card within a perforated region" and the
  variations in printer paper handling are a lot easier to deal with in
  the second case than the first. It's much more noticeable when the
  misalignment is within the card itself than on the borders of the card.

  My printer, for example, can easily have a variation of a quarter of
  an inch from one sheet to the next on card stock. Trying to fit text
  in a quarter-inch region on a pre-printed card is a crap shoot at best.

  >but TSI simply doesn't want you to use BSA stock.

  Correct, because they have a solution which works on a wide variety
  of printers, costs less than using the BSA stock, and can print merit
  badges and multiple different ranks on the same sheet, so that there
  is less waste. For example, if you have 1 boy scout, 1 tenderfoot, 1
  second class, 1 first class, 1 star, 1 life, 1 palm, and 1 merit
  badge, you have just wasted 56 cards using the BSA stock, but none
  using the TSI stock.

  >If enough Troopmaster users would petition TSI to include the
  >ability to use BSA stock, they might consider adding that ability.

  Unlikely, see above.

  --
  Greg Marr

Re: Re: Printing merit badge cards

Katherine Fritz
Re: cost of paper stock: that, too. :-)

(Pssst...it's Katie, not Kathy.)

Katie Fritz
Advancement Chair
Merion Liberty Troop
Merion Station, PA

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Michael Murphy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Personally I agree with Kathy.  One more point it is less money buy stock
> from troopmaster and print troopmaster's image on the stock than to buy the
> sheets from BSA.
>
> Michael Murphy
> Advancement Chair
> Troop 246, Clifton Park NY

Greg: I respectfully disagree with you, because you are
using an example that does not fit my comments.

BSA stock 33414 is NOT used for Rank awards.  It's used
specifically and solely for Merit Badge AWARDS.  It
makes NO sense to even attempt to print a rank award
on a merit badge award card.

Furthermore, Troopmaster DOES allow you to print on a specific
Avery label stock, then peel those labels and stick them on the
Merit Badge AWARD card of your choice.  Sure, the labels are
blank, but they print EXACTLY ON the label sheets, which is
X wide by Y high.

So if you stop and consider this, you should see that if TM
can print labels, it should be able to print BSA stock 33414.
TSI simply doesn't want us to be able to do that.

PS: For those who cannot read, my comments have NOTHING to
do with "blue cards".

Good Scouting --> Gantt

At 10:10 PM 8/18/2010, GANTTE wrote:
>Greg: I respectfully disagree with you, because you are using an
>example that does not fit my comments.

No, I'm not.

>BSA stock 33414 is NOT used for Rank awards. It's used specifically
>and solely for Merit Badge AWARDS. It makes NO sense to even attempt
>to print a rank award on a merit badge award card.

They make the same kind of thing for ranks too, with all of the 8
cards on the sheet being the same rank.

>Furthermore, Troopmaster DOES allow you to print on a specific Avery
>label stock, then peel those labels and stick them on the Merit
>Badge AWARD card of your choice. Sure, the labels are blank, but
>they print EXACTLY ON the label sheets, which is X wide by Y high.

Right, as I described, that's completely different from printing on
the lines on a card.  The labels don't have pre-printed lines that
have to be matched up.

>So if you stop and consider this, you should see that if TM can
>print labels, it should be able to print BSA stock 33414.

Sorry, but that just doesn't follow.  How big is the area for the
text on the card?  Now, how big is the area on the label?  How much
margin for error is there in the two scenarios?  There is a lot in
the label case, and almost none in the card case.

--
Greg Marr