Quantcast

Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

Bill-206
I just experienced a problem that I am sure has been answered here before but I can't find it.

When I upload merit badge advancement for the troop, some of the merit badges for some of the Scouts don't show up.  Why is that?

The Scouts are registered, and the names seem to be the same.  I even put the membership IDs into TM and it doesn't help.

Re: Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

David Wildschuetz
As far as I know it's just the name and birth date that get checked.  If you
look at the upload file, membership id is not even in the file.  Is there a
middle initial vs middle name difference in play here?  I don't recall if you
can check the birth date in Internet Advancement.  I'm thinking that's only
available at rechartering time.

David

________________________________

I just experienced a problem that I am sure has been answered here before but I
can't find it.

When I upload merit badge advancement for the troop, some of the merit badges
for some of the Scouts don't show up. Why is that?

The Scouts are registered, and the names seem to be the same. I even put the
membership IDs into TM and it doesn't help.

Re: Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

Tim Musson-2
Bill,

Thursday, August 12, 2010, 12:47:22 PM, Bill wrote:

> When I upload merit badge advancement for the troop, some of the
> merit badges for some of the Scouts don't show up. Why is that?

> The Scouts are registered, and the names seem to be the same. I even
> put the membership IDs into TM and it doesn't help.

I have seen the same thing and ask in the comments section after the
upload to IA to have an error report... no response ever.

The names typically have to be *exactly* the same. If TM has First
Middle Last, and IA has First Last, it may not match. Also, the ID
isn't part of the upload, but you do need to make sure the Date of
Birth match. Check out the contents of the file you upload. What is in
there *must* match what IA has on record...

Tim

Re: Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

GANTTE
Membership IDs are ignored by Internet Advancement (IA).  Sadly,
this is true.  Why they don't use the one single unique
identifier to match the records, is beyond my understanding.

Look at your data file, use Excel, or a pure text editor
(like Notepad) and open the data file (the one ending in CSV).
WARNING, DO NOT SAVE THIS FILE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!

Or just make a copy of the file and edit the copy.

CSV means it's "comma separated variables".  Excel will
read it in nicely, if you answer the prompts appropriately
and tell it the delimiter is a "comma".

You will see that there are NO BSA PID (person ID) numbers.
Therefore, it cannot match against something it doesn't have.

What IA uses is the first name, middle name and last name,
the birthdate and oddly enough, the social security number.

Well.... we quit collecting SSN years ago.  Too much risk,
too much push back from parents, etc.

Regardless, I will bet that if you look carefully at the
Scouts whose merit badges are missing, you will find a
slight difference in how they are listed in Scoutnet (the
database underneath IA) and your Troopmaster listings.

You need to make sure the birthday, first, middle and last
names are match EXACTLY.  Note that "case" (upper or lower)
doesn't matter.  If you have generational qualifiers in the
last name field.  "Smith Jr" vs "Smith" that's not a match.
There is a field for the GQ in Troopmaster and you should use it.

The real secret is when you do your annual Internet Recharter,
PUSH your data from Troopmaster up to Scoutnet, via the
Recharter option.  THEN, your data is in sync with Scoutnet.

This makes IA work every time.  Until your next Recharter,
you should be able to get your Council registrar to update
Scoutnet to match your Troopmaster records, IF you give them
the differences.

How to check for diffs:

Go into Internet advancement.  Load a new roster.
This ensures you have the latest data from Scoutnet.  Then
print a copy of the unit roster.  This gives you a printout
of EXACTLY what Scoutnet has for each Scout.

Then print a Unit roster from Troopmaster.  Get some coffee
and sit down and compare, line by line, Scout by Scout.
Record your diffs and update either Troopmaster or Scoutnet
to make them match.  You can control Troopmaster, but as
stated above, you have to get Scoutnet updated by the
professional in your Council office.

Finally, once this is all good, go back to IA and print a
unit advancement summary report.  Then get more coffee and
compare all your advancement records, merit badges and ranks
against your Troopmaster.   Resolve any issues with missing
data in Scoutnet, with your Council registrar.

Once you are all in sync, it will work fine from then on.

This is THE single ugly bug with Internet Advancement.
Unlike Internet Recharter, which will flag a record if there
is a data mismatch.... IA will happily ignore a mismatched
record and act as if those records, the ones you found
missing, never existed.   I've tried for four years to get
someone in Texas to fix this and they simply don't care.

I know this will help, hope it does for you.

Good Scouting --> Gantt

--- In [hidden email], "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

> I just experienced a problem that I am sure has been answered here before but I can't find it.
>
> When I upload merit badge advancement for the troop, some of the merit badges for some of the Scouts don't show up.  Why is that?
>
> The Scouts are registered, and the names seem to be the same.  I even put the membership IDs into TM and it doesn't help.

Re: Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

Bivens
Check the DOB and the exact name that your council has onfile for the boys
who did not transfer.
 Mike Bivens
Advancement Chair
Troop 513 - Men In Green "Go Green"

________________________________

Re: Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

bbartkowiak
I have had this same problem twice and in each case it has come down to the birthdate not matching up.  You can see each Scout's name and check that easily but for some reason you only see the birthdates when rechartering.  I would recommend calling or emailing the appropriate person at your council and checking that their birthdate for the scout matches what's in Troopmaster.

I hope that fixes it for you.

--- In [hidden email], "Bill" <bnelson45@...> wrote:

> I just experienced a problem that I am sure has been answered here before but I can't find it.
>
> When I upload merit badge advancement for the troop, some of the merit badges for some of the Scouts don't show up.  Why is that?
>
> The Scouts are registered, and the names seem to be the same.  I even put the membership IDs into TM and it doesn't help.

Re: Problems uploading to Internet Advancement

Bill-206
Thank you everyone.   It was the birthdates.  I got a copy of the troop roster from our DE and compared the dates.  Changed them in TM and it uploaded fine